The Nissan Navara (also known as NP300 Navara) was launched back in 2015 before it was given a facelift in 2021. It was and still is the only pickup truck that favors an SUV-style (sport utility vehicle) rear multi-link suspension (the rear legs of a vehicle). While pickup trucks such as the Ford Ranger and Toyota Hilux are known to be bumpier on the road compared to a sedan, by using the same rear suspension found in SUVs like the Mazda CX-5 or Honda CR-V, the ride in the Nissan Navara is more comfortable making longer journeys less nauseous.
Here is a buying guide for used Nissan Navaras.
Pros and Cons of the Nissan Navara
|More stable ride due to its SUV rear suspension making journeys less nauseous ✔||Despite its SUV rear suspension, it’s still bumpy due to its taller ride height compared to an SUV|
|Service and maintenance costs not as high as its competitors ✔||Due to its SUV rear suspension, the payload capacity is lower than its competitors|
|2.5-liter turbodiesel engine has more than enough power to move the truck, getting up to speed with ease ✔||Taller drivers may not find a comfortable driving position as the steering wheel doesn’t adjust high enough|
|Goes over potholes and uneven roads with ease ✔||Sound insulation is average for its class, especially the whining sound from the engine|
A 2021 Nissan Navara Pro-4X sold for RM138,900 on CARSOME
Here’s a Brief Recap on the Prices
Pre-facelift Nissan Navara:
- Nissan Navara Single Cab (Manual): RM79,000
- Nissan Navara Double Cab E (Manual): RM89,800
- Nissan Navara Double Cab SE (Manual): RM97,800
- Nissan Navara Double Cab SE (Automatic): RM102,800
- Nissan Navara Double Cab V (Automatic): RM109,800
- Nissan Navara Double Cab VL (Automatic): RM120,800
Post-facelift Nissan Navara:
- Nissan Navara Single Cab (Manual): RM91,900
- Nissan Navara Double Cab SE (Manual): RM110,900
- Nissan Navara Double Cab SE (Automatic): RM116,900
- Nissan Navara Double Cab V (Automatic): RM125,500
- Nissan Navara Double Cab VL (Automatic): RM137,900
- Nissan Navara Double Cab Pro-4X (Automatic): RM142,200
Quick Rundown on the Nissan Navara Specs
- Powertrain: 2.5-liter turbodiesel engine rated at 190 HP and 450 Nm (only for VL and Pro-4X variant) while the rest gets a lower power output at 163 HP and 403 Nm.
- Features: The V variant and above gets more features such as keyless entry, push-button start, a 5-inch display, Bluetooth, six speakers, a multifunction steering wheel and a reverse camera. The VL gets all the bells and whistles such as LED headlights with LED daytime running lights so other road users notice your presence on the road, 18-inch dual-tone rims, roof rails that provide attachment points to mount items on top of the vehicle, powered-adjustable driver’s seat, and leather seats.
- Payload capacity: 880 to 1112 KG depending on the variant (great for hauling heavy and big items such as furniture).
- Safety Features: Two airbags on the SE variants and six airbags on the V, VL, and Pro-4X variants (it was updated to seven in 2018 but the facelift in 2021 only received six).
Other safety features include – Electronic brakeforce distribution and brake assist, which prevents tires from locking up and skidding. Moreover, it gets vehicle dynamic control, traction control, and brake-based active brake limited slip, which stabilizes the car when it loses control. Besides that, the Nissan Navara gets hill start assist, which prevents the car that’s stopped on a hill from rolling backward when the driver accidentally lifts off the brakes, and finally hill descent control which allows the driver to go downhill without the driver’s input (very useful when going off-road as you can leave it up to the system to bring you down safely).
- Facelifted Features: The facelifted Nissan Navara gets additional modern-day touches such as an 8-inch touchscreen display with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, auto wipers when it detects rain and Advanced Drive-Assistance System (ADAS) such as pre-collision warning, pre-collision braking and front departure alert.
Recap of Nissan Navara Used Prices
Here are a few examples of used Nissan Navaras available on Carsome:
|YEAR||MODEL||MILEAGE (~)||PRICE (~)|
|2015||Nissan Navara V||60,346 KM||RM77,900|
|2017||Nissan Navara V||91,754 KM||RM80,900|
|2018||Nissan Navara VL||98,678 KM||RM102,900|
|2021||Nissan Navara Pro-4X||20,671 KM||RM138,900|
A 2018 Nissan Navara VL sold for RM102,900 on CARSOME
A Fair Price to Pay
From our website, the price for a used Nissan Navara ranges from RM59,000 to RM139,000 depending on the year, variant, condition, and mileage of the car. A fair price to pay would be around RM102,900, that can get you a 2018 Nissan Navara VL with a mileage of 98,678 KM. With a 10 percent down payment, the estimated monthly installment costs RM1,128 per month.
If you want to spend less than RM1,000 per month, then take a look at the 2015 Nissan Navara V for RM77,900 with a mileage of 60,346 KM. With similar loan calculations, you’re looking to pay an estimated amount of RM854 per month.
On the other hand, if you are looking to get the latest features such as Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Advanced Drive-Assistance System (ADAS) then take a look at the 2021 Nissan Navara Pro-4X priced at RM138,900 with a mileage of 20,671 KM. You’re looking to pay an estimated amount of RM1,522 per month after factoring in a 10 percent down payment.
Which Variant to Buy?
We recommend getting the used 2018 Nissan Navara VL as it gets a higher power output for moving larger items with ease, LED headlights for clearer vision during the night, especially in off-road conditions, powered-adjustable leather seats for convenience, and most importantly seven airbags for safety.
What Are the Common Problems?
The Nissan Navara nearly doubled in sales in May 2021, exceeding pre-pandemic numbers. However, great sales numbers do not translate to zero problems with the Navara.
Some owners have reported oil leaks coming from the engine and transmission (gearbox) while others reported magnetic pulley failure (which gives power to the air-conditioner). Nevertheless, there are no catastrophic engine or transmission failures, and since these problems are not that common, you need not worry about them too much
A regular service and maintenance will keep the car problem-free. Nissan recommends preventative maintenance by replacing the engine oil and oil filter every 10,000 kilometers or every six months (whichever comes first).
How Much to Maintain?
|Tires/pc (~)||RM500 – RM970|
|Minor service (Engine oil and oil filter) [~]||RM200 – RM250|
The Perfect Pickup Truck but Not for the Wild
If you carry heavy items on a daily basis or want to go off-road all the time without any compromises, then a used Nissan Navara isn’t for you. However, if you’re looking for a lifestyle pickup truck that is comfortable on the road, capable of carrying heavy items, going off-road on occasion and is reliable, then the Nissan Navara is for you. It is the perfect pickup-truck for the city.
Buy CARSOME Certified for Peace of Mind
Here at Carsome, we believe in creating an end-to-end buying journey to eliminate the concerns of a traditional used car buying experience. CARSOME Certified is the new standard of buying pre-owned cars backed up by our 175-point Inspection together with our CARSOME Certified Refurbishment Process. By creating a trusted used car ecosystem, CARSOME Certified guarantees trust, transparency, and choice.
Check out our CARSOME Certified Nissan Navara here.
Check out our CARSOME Certified Cars here.
Louis is a motoring journalist whose background was in the legal industry. Jumping from law firms to car dealerships, he finally found a career he loves and will never have to work a day in his life. He enjoys detailing his car and going to the gym during his free time.