Released in 2008, the Volvo XC60 was the first car to constantly monitor and avoid the possibility of a front-to-rear crash by using a laser in the windscreen. This is similar to the Pre-Collision Braking (PCB) under Perodua Smart Drive Assist (PSDA). Every car manufacturer has a different name for their advanced driving assistant, but they all fall under what is known globally as Advanced Driver-Assistance System (ADAS).
The Advanced Driver-Assistance System (ADAS) is a set of advanced driving assistance designed to increase the safety of driving, while improving the driver’s ability to react to dangers on the road and mitigate potential collisions or accidents.
The Perodua Smart Drive Assist (PSDA) is no different than ADAS; it’s a suite of active safety systems to protect the driver and people around. The all-new 2018 Perodua Myvi was the first car from Perodua to include ADAS or in Perodua’s marketing terms – the Advanced Safety Assist (A.S.A), which included Pre-Collision Warning (PCW), Pre-Collision Braking (PCB), Front Departure Alert (FDA), and Pedal Misoperation Control (PMC).
About a year later, the 2019 Perodua Aruz received an updated A.S.A known as the A.S.A 2.0. In 2021, the Perodua Ativa later received the A.S.A 3.0, followed by the 2022 Perodua Myvi facelift.
Here are the differences between all iterations of A.S.A:
|Function||Description||A.S.A||A.S.A 2.0||A.S.A 3.0|
|Pre-Collision Warning (PCW)||Detection||✔ Vehicles||✔ Vehicles
✔ Motorcycles / Bicycles
|Pre-Collision Braking (PCB)||Speed||✔ 4 – 30 km/h||✔ 4 – 80 km/h (Vehicles)
✔ 4 – 50 km/h (Pedestrians)
|✔ 4 – 120 km/h (Vehicles / Motorcycles / Bicycles)
✔ 4 – 60 km/h (Pedestrians)
|Pre-Collision Braking (PCB) Number of Times||Max. 3 times only and engine must be restarted to reset the system||Unlimited times|
The top of the range Perodua Myvi and Ativa (AV variant) received the full suite of PSDA which on top of A.S.A 3.0, it includes Lane Keep Control (LKC), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA).
How Do the Features Work?
- Pre-Collision Warning (PCW) warns the driver via a buzzer and warning lights displayed on the meter upon detecting a risk of frontal collision.
- Pre-Collision Braking (PCB) controls the brakes to assist in collision avoidance and mitigate collision damage. It will also alert the driver with a buzzer.
- Front Departure Alert (FDA) alerts the driver when the vehicle in front has moved, usually when the car has stopped at a traffic light or in a traffic jam. FDA notifies the driver to start moving.
- Pedal Misoperation Control (PMC) suppresses engine output and automatically applies the brakes when the driver accidentally stomps on the accelerator pedal. This also works in a parking lot when the car is facing a wall and the driver wants to reverse but mistakenly shifts the gear into ‘D’.
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) warns the driver via a buzzer when it detects unintentional departure from the traveling lane.
- Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) assists the driver to avoid unintended lane departure. If the driver does not respond to the warning buzzer, the system applies a small corrective force to the steering wheel to assist the driver in keeping within the lane.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) allows the car to travel at a constant pre-selected speed and automatically adjusts the vehicle speed to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle ahead.
- Lane Keep Control (LKC) is a function that supports necessary steering operations to keep your car within a road lane. LKC works together with ACC but itdoes not work when ACC is inactive.
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) addresses blind spots by detecting vehicles that are out of the viewing angle, using indicators on the side-view mirror.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) is a support system that detects incoming or approaching vehicles from behind.
How Do You Use PSDA?
- PSDA or A.S.A utilizes two cameras (stereo cameras) mounted in the front of the inside rear view mirror which detects vehicles up to about 70 meters (pedestrians up to 45 meters) ahead.
- In order for the PSDA or A.S.A to operate properly, the windshield view in front of the cameras cannot be obstructed by something (dirt, fog, stickers, etc.).
- The PSDA or A.S.A is turned on automatically upon starting the engine unless the driver turns it off. The A.S.A button is located next to the steering wheel on the right side, below the cupholder.
- Press and hold for more than two seconds to turn on or turnoff the A.S.A function.
- Its operational status is notified by the buzzer and display.
|PSDA and A.S.A Functions||Operational Status|
|Pre-Collision Warning (PCW)||
|Pre-Collision Braking (PCB)||
|Front Departure Alert (FDA)||Warning sound when your vehicle keeps stopping although the vehicle ahead has already moved forward more than three meters away.|
|Pedal Misoperation Control (PMC)||Stereo camera recognizes obstacles four meters ahead and pressing the wrong pedal while driving slowly approximately 10 km/h or slower.|
|Lane Departure Warning (LDW)||
|Lane Departure Prevention (LDP)||
|Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)||
|Lane Keep Control (LKC)||
|Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)||BSM is automatically switched ‘ON’ upon starting the engine.|
|Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)||RCTA is automatically switched ‘ON’ upon starting the engine.|
When Should You Use PSDA?
PSDA should be switched on at all times as the human’s reaction time to prevent potential collisions is slower than the system. On the other hand, the advanced driving assistant such as Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Keep Control (LKC) should be utilized during a long drive like an outstation trip or during traffic jams.
Nonetheless, bear in mind that the PSDA only acts as a driver’s assistance instead of an autopilot machine (self-driving vehicle).
Which Variant Has It?
|Model||Variant||PSDA (also known as ADAS or A.S.A)|
|Perodua Axia||1.0 AV||A.S.A 2.0|
|Perodua Bezza||1.3 AV||A.S.A 2.0|
1.5 H, X, G
|Perodua Ativa||1.0 AV
1.0 H, X
|Perodua Aruz||1.5 AV||A.S.A 2.0|
How to Maintain System Efficiency?
- Follow Perodua’s scheduled wheel balancing and alignment.
- Regular car washing is best as it prevents dirt sticking on the windshield and radar sensors at the rear.
Advanced Driver-Assistance System (ADAS) Is Merely an Assistant
It is worth noting that ADAS or PSDA is not “magic”, whereby the driver can choose to sleep off when the system is activated – the cameras and radar sensors are not always 100 percent accurate. It is still highly advisable to keep both eyes on the road and always be alert of what is going on around you. Always remember that driving is a privilege, not a right.
Buy Carsome Certified for Peace of Mind
Here at Carsome, we believe in creating an end-to-end buying journey to eliminate the concerns of traditional used car buying experience. Carsome Certified is the new standard of buying pre-owned cars backed up by our 175-point inspection together with our Carsome Certified Refurbishment Process. By creating a trusted used car ecosystem, Carsome Certified guarantees trust, transparency, and choice.
Check out our Carsome Certified Perodua inventory here.