HomeCar TipsDocuments You Need for a Vehicle Ownership Transfer When the Owner Is...

Documents You Need for a Vehicle Ownership Transfer When the Owner Is Deceased

Properties and cars are the two more commonly discussed assets in the distribution of asset ownership. In the event of a death, the situation may become difficult for the next of kin as the ownership transfer requires several processes and documents.

In this article, Carsome will help you to understand the documents needed to transfer a vehicle’s ownership to a new owner as required by the Road Transport Department (JPJ).

JPJ requires seven (7) documents for the transfer. However, one set of the documents differs depending on whether the individual passed away testate (with a will) or intestate (without a will).

Testate (with a will)

When it comes to an individual who has passed away with a valid will, the succession (new owner) of the vehicle depends on whom the deceased has bequeathed the vehicle. The executor or executrix will need to apply to the court for a Grant of Probate, which is a court document that allows the transfer of vehicle ownership to the successor.

Intestate (without a will)

Should an individual passed away without leaving a valid will, the order of succession usually falls in order of: the spouse, children, parents, sibling, or the closest next of kin, as per the Distribution Act 1958 (for Non-Muslims) and Syariah Distribution (for Muslims).

In such a situation, the administrator of the deceased assets must apply to the court for a Grant of Letter of Administration OR if the estate value is below RM2 million, a Small Estate Distribution Order according to the Small Estates (Distribution) Act 1955.

Required Documents by JPJ to Effect the Transfer of Car Ownership

  • JPJ K3A form
  • Death Certificate
  • Identification Card (MyKad) or Passport of the successor or administrator
  • Vehicle Ownership Grant or Vehicle Ownership Certificate (VOC)
  • Grant of Probate OR Grant of Letter of Administration OR Form E or F or T from the Department of Director General of Lands and Mines (for those with a Small Estate Distribution Order) OR Amanah Raya Berhad
  • Court Order (received with Grant Letter of Probate/ Administration)
  • Puspakom B5 Transfer of Ownership Inspection report

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can we seek help with the administration process?

The parties involved can decide to appoint lawyers, the Land Office and also Amanah Raya Berhad, a government agency that can help with the management of the administration process.

How long would it take to receive the court documents?

The administration process and receipt of documents may take up to twelve (12) months, depending on the court process.

The vehicle’s owner has passed away, but I need to use the car. However, the road tax is expiring soon. What can I do?

In the event of the owner’s passing, JPJ will provide a six (6) months renewal of the vehicle’s road tax upon confirmation of the owner’s death certificate.

Read below for more stories!

Are you an e-Hailing driver trying to sell your car? Click here to find out what to do first.

Selling your car is not as difficult as you think it is. Here are the documents you need, and you will be on your way.

The 2020 Perodua Bezza looks better and is more equipped than before. Click here for the full coverage of the launch!

Your driveway deserves a new car! Sell your car to CARSOME today!

- Advertisment -

Most Popular