HomeCar TipsLost Your Car Grant? Here are 3 Ways You Can Replace It

Lost Your Car Grant? Here are 3 Ways You Can Replace It

Losing a car grant is a common situation – most of the time, the only reason we’re looking is because we’re selling our car. Many misplace it due to negligence, theft, or even because of unfortunate causes such as flood or fire. 

So if you can’t find your car grant, don’t panic –  here are three ways you can replace it. – 

First, What is a Car Grant & Why is it Important?

A car grant is a document that carries the registration of a car and is issued by the Road Transport Department (JPJ). It is done to establish a link between the car and the owner, or the car’s driver.  From June 2016, the old Registration Certificates (RC) -or more commonly known as a grant or car ‘geran’ among Malaysians – was replaced by the Vehicle Ownership Certificate (VOC) in an effort to streamline and broaden the department’s online services.

sijil pemilikan kenderaan (VOC)/Kad pendaftaran kenderaan (RC) JPJimage source: JPJ’s Official Website

The VOC is similar to the car grant as it carries all the relevant vehicle and ownership details online. Though the physical document will not be needed during the renewal of road tax or changing of vehicle ownership, you will need the grant if you are selling your car. In this case, you will need to surrender the original certificate.

So, without further ado, here are the steps on getting a new car grant.

Cara Dapatkan Geran Kereta Original

1. Getting a New Car Grant at the JPJ Counter

You can get a copy of the original or produce a new car grant at any JPJ office near you for RM50. All you (the registered owner) need to do is:

  • Step 1:Bring your identity card (MyKad) and other required documents (we’ve listed them down below for easy reference).
  • Step 2:Fill in and complete the JPJ K7 form.
  • Step 3: Submit your MyKad and the completed JPJ K7 form to the officer on duty.

After the verification process, you will receive a copy of the original grant as required.

Apart from the registered owner, the application of getting a new copy of the Vehicle Ownership Certificate (VOC) can only be done by any authorized government agencies, company, organization officers, or beneficiaries only. 

Here are the documents you need. 

Application by registered owner
  • Ownership Grant Checklist Form
  • Two copies of the completed JPJ K7 Forms.
  • Original Identity Card (MyKad) for identification.
  • Required Fees.
Application by the owner’s representative
  1. Grant Copy Checklist Form
  2. Two copies of the completed JPJ K7 Forms
  3. An official letter from the Government Agency/Company/Organization  
  4. Required fees
Application by the official beneficiary
  1. Grant Copy Checklist Form
  2. Two completed JPJ K7 Forms
  3. Copy of Identity Card (MyKad) of the registered owner
  4. Copy of the beneficiary’s Identity Card (MyKad)
  5. Supporting documents explaining why the registered owner of the vehicle is unable to appear in person for the consideration of the State Director or authorized officer
  6. Supporting documents proving the relationship between the beneficiary and the registered owner
  7. If the registered owner of the vehicle has died, the JPJK7 form must be signed by the beneficiary who has been appointed by the Court or the Small Heir/Executor/Executrix/Administrator who has been appointed by the Court in the Letter of Administration or Grant of Probate.
  8. Required fees

Lokasi Kiosk Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan Malaysia

2. Getting a New Car Grant at the JPJ Kiosk

Besides requesting a grant at the counter, you can also get a copy of the car grant from one of the 36 JPJ kiosks available throughout Malaysia.  The steps are pretty straightforward. Here’s how. 

  • Step 1: Insert your MyKad and place your right thumb on the fingerprint scanner.
  • Step 2: Select Vehicle Ownership Certificate (VOC).
  • Step 3: Review the relevant information displayed..
  • Step 4: Enter your payment details to proceed to the payment page.
  • Step 5: You will be charged RM50 (for the original car grant) for each successful transaction.
  • Step 6: Select a receipt printout (if necessary)

3.Getting a New Car Grant from the Bank

This method is for those who have never gotten an original grant from the bank that you got your car loan from. You can request for the original car loan from your bank in accordance with the Hire Purchase Amendment Act 2010 which requires the bank to submit a VOC to the requestor when applied in writing.

Here is how you do it.  

  • Step 1: Visit the bank that your car loan is under.
  • Step 2: Complete the required forms.
  • Step 3: Submit your identity card (MyKad) to the officer on duty.
  • Step 4: After the verification process (fingerprint scan), the officer on duty will hand you over the original car grant.
  • Step 5: If you want to get a copy of the grant for the insurance claims, all you need to do is make a quick call to the car loan’s bank and once it is confirmed, a copy of the grant will be sent to you via email.

Make sure you keep your VOC safe with these tips!

Once you have your new car grant, try to make sure you don’t lose it again as although the VOC is accessible online, you will still need your car grant if you intend to sell off your car. 

So, here are some handy tips on keeping your car grant safe: 

  • Keep it in a folder
  • Make several copies to keep
  • Label & organize your car documents

With that, we hope the process goes smoothly. Also, bear in mind that with the current procedures in place due to the lockdown, make sure you call in to check in case you’ll need to set an appointment before your JPJ or bank visits. Stay safe!

Also ReadWhy You Need A Car Insurance In Malaysia

For any other used car services and news, do check Carsome out! You can sell your used car at Carsome for the best price, fast payment, and no paperwork hassle. Check the website today to know more.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular