Road Tax and Insurance Renewal Online
If you own a car, you know that renewing your road tax and motor insurance is an annual affair and you would surely want to get it done before you forget (and get unnecessary summons for) and to do it without much hassle. But before we go into the different ways to renew road tax and insurance that varies in terms of convenience, let’ answer some FAQs about road taxes and motor insurances.
Road Taxes and Motor Insurances FAQs
- What is a Car Road Tax in Malaysia?
Road Tax can be defined as an annual tax that must be paid for the car to be driven on Malaysian roads and this tax is calculated based on the engine capacity, vehicle body type and region.
2. Why is the car road tax cheaper in East Malaysia?
Cars that are driven in East Malaysia pay a lower tax to compensate for the differences in road conditions, facilities and infrastructure compared to Peninsular Malaysia.
3. What do I do if my road tax is expired?
Driving with an expired road tax is a serious offence and if any accident were to occur, you will not be able to make an insurance claim to cover the expenses of the damage. If you are caught driving without a valid road tax, you will either be summoned by the JPJ officer or required to attend a court hearing.
4. Can I renew my road tax without motor insurance?
No you absolutely cannot as it is impossible to renew your road tax without renewing your insurance first, no matter where you do it.
5. Is motor insurance compulsory to have when I own a car?
You absolutely need insurance if you have a car as it comes with the charges that you might have to pay to the third party in the event of an accident. It is also compulsory to have at least a Third-Party plan in Malaysia to be able to renew your annual road tax.
6. What are the factors that will affect the insurance premium?
- Location – Your insurance premium rate is affected by where you live and buy the insurance as rates are higher in the city where accidents, thefts and vandalism are common. You will also be paying a higher premium if your car is more expensive.
- Age – Drivers who are younger and inexperienced will automatically have a higher risk to car insurance companies and will cause the inexperienced driver to have a higher premium rate.
- Driving Record – Drivers with a clean driving history would generally be granted with a lower premium compared to drivers with a history of accidents, speeding tickets and others.
- Type of vehicle – Motor vehicles which are classified as intermediate-performance, high-performance, rear-engine models and sports vehicles will have a higher premium rate compared to average cars.
7. What is a No Claim Discount (NCD)?
No Claim Discount is just as its name says, a discount given to drivers who have not made any insurance claims during the insurance period. If you didn’t make any claims, your NCD will definitely go up, but once you made a claim, it will go back to 0% again. You will have to start building it up again after a year of paying your premium to full.
Ways to Renew your Road Tax and Motor Insurance
Here are some ways you can renew your road tax and motor insurance.
Offline – Over the Counter
Before the days of online transactions, the only way you could renew your road tax and motor insurance was over the counter at the post office or any other JPJ offices/branches. You can still renew them at these locations now as these locations are still favored by the elderly and those that are not tech-savvy. Do remember to bring the required documents and sufficient cash with you as some branches do not accept payment by card.
Now that the Covid cases are still up, its always safer to do any transactions online. One way you can do that is via the MyEG website, an online provider for e-government services. But just keep in mind that you will not be able to go update your road tax if you do not already have a valid insurance policy. Under the MyEG website, you just have to select JPJ, click on the road tax renewal tab, fill in your details and get your road tax delivered to you within 2-3 working days. Payment can be done via credit card or online bank transfer. It’s that easy!
Online – Insurance Provider Website/App
Some insurance companies also allow you the option to renew your road tax on their website when you renew your motor insurance policy as it is common that many car owners would want to cut off the hassle of doing them separately. All you have to do is fill in the details via the app or the website, pay up for the road tax and the insurance and get it delivered to you in less than 5 working days.
Now that you know a little bit more about road tax and motor insurance, do take note when you next renewal is so that things can be done in a hassle-free manner. And for any other used-car related services and inquiries, do check out Carsome’s website.