Every driver’s license in Malaysia comes with an expiry date and it is your responsibility to renew it on time to avoid any complications down the road. In this article, we will be discussing everything related to renewing your driving license; fees, and methods of renewing your license online and in person, as well as the consequences of not renewing your driving license on time. Let’s get started!
image source: JPJ.my
Renewing Your Driving License
Once you have obtained your driver’s license, you will notice a date on the card that states the expiration date. Previously, the license expiration date was a random date that is set according to the validity period that you have picked, but from mid-November 2011 onwards, the expiration date of your driving license to match your date of birth to make it easier for drivers to remember.
You can choose the validity period for your driving license but do note that the minimum renewal duration is 1 year, and the maximum duration is 5 years.
The Cost of Renewing your Driving License
|1 Year||RM 30|
|3 Years||RM 90|
|5 Years||RM 150|
But what happens when you forget to renew your driving license? If you get caught driving with an expired driving license, a fine will be imposed. The amount that you will have to pay up depends on how long your driver’s license has expired.
|1 – 15 days||RM 150|
|16 – 30 days||RM 200|
|31 – 60 days||RM 300|
No More Renewal, Time to Re-Sit
Here comes the complicated part. If your license has been expired for 3 years or more, it becomes totally invalid. You can no longer renew it and you will have to go through the whole hassle of getting a driver’s license from the very beginning. You will be issued an eRayuan letter to obtain the “L” driving license from your nearest JPJ office (where you will have to pay RM 30) and you will have to re-sit the practical driving test. Once you pass these examinations, you still won’t be able to get your full license and will be given a two-year probationary license (P License). So to avoid all this, do check your license regularly to make sure it hasn’t expired.
Where to Renew Your Driving License in Malaysia
If you are afraid of missing the expiry date, you can always visit JPJ’s website for all the information related to your driving license. You can check the expiry date as well as the last time you renewed your license. All you need to do is:
- Click on the ID category and choose based on your ID. For Malaysians, click on MyKad.
- Insert your MyKad number and the security code given. Make sure you follow the format and key in the correct information.
- All your information related to your driving license will be shown so that you can always keep track of your license’s expiry date.
Where to Renew Your Driving License in Person
Post Office (Pos Malaysia)
To renew your license at any Pos Malaysia outlet, all you need to bring along your MyKad and your existing driver’s license. Make your way to the post office early to avoid long queues.
Road Transport Department Malaysia (JPJ)
You can head down to your nearest JPJ office to renew your driver’s license. All you need is your MyKad and your existing driving license (optional – an additional photo). It would usually take less than an hour for the whole process of renewing your license here.
Urban Transformation Centre (UTC)
Most UTCs have their own JPJ branches where you can proceed with renewing your driving license. These UTCs are:
- UTC KL, Kuala Lumpur
- Mini UTC Sentul, Kuala Lumpur
- Mini UTC Keramat, Kuala Lumpur
- UTC Kedah, Kedah
- Mini UTC Sungai Petani, Kedah
- UTC Perak, Perak
- UTC Melaka, Melaka
- UTC Johor, Johor
- UTC Pahang, Pahang
- UTC Terengganu, Terengganu
- UTC Kuching, Sarawak
- UTC Sibu, Sarawak
- UTC Miri, Sarawak
- UTC Sabah, Sabah
- UTC Tawau, Sabah
How to Renew Your Driving License Online
On the 9th of October 2020, JPJ announced that driver’s licenses can be renewed online via MyEG’s website.
To renew your license using MyEG’s website, just follow these steps:
- Visit the official MyEG website. If you do not have an account with MyEG, create an account by clicking on the “Register Now” button and filling in the required details.
- If you already have a MyEG account, click the “Login” button, then select your nearest JPJ branch.
- Click on the “Renewing Driving License” button.
- Then, fill in all the required information and select your payment method. Before confirming your payment, make sure all the information provided is correct.
- Once completed, save the receipt as proof if necessary.
- MyEG will send you your new driving license to the address you have provided.
*A charge of RM5 is charged for delivery around the Klang Valley, RM6 for peninsular Malaysia and RM10 for Sabah and Sarawak.
The pandemic has accelerated the shifting of many face-to-face practices to online portals and systems. However, we keep in mind that access to internet facilities are not equal throughout the nation and over-the-counter processes are still necessary in many parts of the country. We hope that this comprehensive guide has helped you to plan your license renewal process seamlessly.
Whenever you are ready to sell your used car , check us out! We offer the best price, fast payment, and even better- we handle all the paperwork!