Car breakdowns are especially stressful if you’re not well-versed with the ins and outs of your car’s components.
But if this happens during a drive, don’t panic. Just turn on your hazard lights, slowly pull over at the road shoulder, pull up your emergency brake and call for help.
But of course, your car may also break down as it stays idle – a situation that we are currently faced with during the pandemic – for many reasons.
So, here are five common reasons that may have caused your car breakdown
- Flat or faulty battery: If you are unable to start your car, this could be due to a faulty or a flat battery. The battery is what charges up the starter motor to turn on the alternator in order to power your car. This could be due to incidents such as accidentally leaving on your lights when your engine is turned off, or it could be electrical problems as your battery may be old and requires a replacement.
- Faulty alternator or alternator belt: The alternator is an electric generator in your car that charges the battery. A tell-tale sign that your alternator is the main cause of your car breakdown is if you are not able to start your car, or your headlights are dim when your car is idling. It could also be your alternator belt, also known as a serpentine belt, which spins around the vehicle to keep components such as the alternator and power steering pump running effectively. If your ignition warning light begins flickering and the temperature of your car’s engine rises quickly, this could be due to a broken alternator belt.
- Flat tire: This is when your tire or tires lose air, causing it to deflate. Driving with a flat tire is risky as it can cause wheel or internal structural damage that will affect the handling or control over your vehicle. There are many reasons for a flat tire, it could be that you’ve driven over a sharp object which has pierced your tire or even, an over-inflated tire which has blown out.
- Engine overheating: An overheated engine can seriously damage your car. The components that are made to cool your car will fail if the car produces more heat that it can handle. This can cause the cooling system to leak and trigger issues in the radiator. If you continue to drive an overheated car, it can cause components such as the cylinder heads to warp and decrease your car’s power, as well as excessive oil burning. It can also affect the belts, wiring and sensors.
- Out of fuel: This can happen especially if you’re stuck in a long traffic jam without a petrol station in sight. So, just put on your hazard light and pull over slowly to the road shoulder to call for assistance.
There are many other reasons why you may be having car troubles and to pinpoint the actual causes, it’s best you contact a mechanic before you tamper with anything.
Make a Booking on the POMEN App for Car Services & Breakdowns
While you may be scouring the internet for a list of nearby mechanics, there is an easier solution – downloading the POMEN App. POMEN is a roadside assistance service mobile application that connects you to nearby workshops.
The app provides services for car breakdowns, battery problems, tire replacements, as well as car servicing and maintenance – whenever and wherever you need it. It identifies nearby workshops with clear, flat-rate pricing as well as cashless payments to help motorists in times of need. Each workshop is also guaranteed to use genuine car parts and lubricants.
Besides that, they offer car servicing and maintenance services, so you can connect to a workshop near your home and have mechanics come to you.
To book a service is easy. All you need to do is tap the service you need on the app (Breakdown, Battery, Service or Flat Tyre) and it will detect your location to find the nearest workshop. From there, estimated prices will be shown and you can pick a workshop by clicking “HELP ME NOW”. The workshop will get your notification and they will be on the way to assist you.
POMEN has over 700 workshops and is currently available for use in these locations:
- West Malaysia: Klang Valley, Ipoh, Johor, Melaka and Negeri Sembilan.
- East Malaysia: Sabah and Sarawak.
Carsome Customers Get 10 percent Off a POMEN Service Package
POMEN also offers service packages which you can pay for in advance and redeem it within six months. Remember, your car needs to be consistently serviced and maintained, especially during this lockdown period, to avoid any major costly damages in the future.
Carsome customers exclusively get 10 percent off a POMEN service package, as well as a free POMEN t-shirt for every confirmed and paid booking of a service package – just use the code CARSOME10 when you make a booking to redeem this special discount.
Now, let’s give your cars some love and book your service package now with POMEN at pomenapp.com/carsome. The POMEN App is available for download on the Google Play Store, Apple App Store and Huawei AppGallery.
Sell Your Car to Carsome for the Best Price
Is your car all spruced up and ready to be sold? Remember to choose a trustworthy platform such as Carsome when you sell your car. We can assure you that we’ll offer you a price at market value. You can even potentially get 20 percent higher than market value if you opt for live bidding.
Here’s a quick run-through of how to sell your car to Carsome:
- Book an inspection on our website. We also offer home inspections where our inspectors will come to you.
- Attend your inspection appointment. Our inspectors will conduct a 175-point inspection on your car.
- Get offered. We will quote an offer to you on-the-spot, or you can opt to put your car up on our live bidding platform where dealers nationwide will bid for your car.
- Accept the offer. Take our offer, or accept the offer once the live bidding has been completed. Just let our inspector know and we will handle all the paperwork for you.
So, whether you are looking to trade-in your car for a new ride, or to get some quick cash, sell your car to Carsome at carsome.my/sell-car now!
Jasmine would rather write about cars than actually drive one. Her writing journey started with various media houses, before venturing further into the world of content marketing.