The Malaysian Works Ministry has recently announced that the use of Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) for toll payments will be made available for light vehicles in all toll plazas along the North-South Expressway (PLUS) starting 15 January 2022. This involves toll plazas from Juru, Penang to Skudai in Johor.
Image Source: Touch ‘n Go
The ministry also mentioned that it aims to phase out the use of Touch ‘n Go and SmartTAG payment methods by the end of 2023. This, however, will be carried out in stages taking into account RFID usage rates. With the new RFID lanes, Malaysian highway users can enjoy a smoother journey with contactless payment at the toll plazas. In fact, the RFID technology can process toll payments even with vehicles traveling at 30 km/h.
The RFID lanes implementation is in line with the Intelligent Transport System (ITS) Blueprint which includes the Multi-Lane Free Flow. This blueprint aims to provide a more convenient, safe, and fast service experience for users.
What is RFID?
RFID is a form of wireless communication that uses electromagnetic fields to automatically identify and track tags as well as transfer data. By connecting your RFID tag to your Touch ‘n Go eWallet account, you can seamlessly pay for highway toll fares, track your toll payments, and more. Your RFID funds are stored in the Touch ‘n Go eWallet. And since you can easily top-up your funds in the app via online banking, debit/credit cards, or by purchasing a TNG eWallet reload PIN, running out of cash at the toll plazas will be a thing of the past.
How to Install RFID and Activate Your Touch ‘n Go eWallet
The process of installing the RFID tag on your car and activating your Touch ‘n Go eWallet is simple. To help you do it yourself, we’ve detailed the steps you need to take below.
How to Buy a Touch ‘n Go RFID Tag in Malaysia
You can purchase the RFID tag online via the Touch ‘n Go app, Touch ‘n Go online portal, through authorized agents, or at any of the 39 RFID tag fitment centers around Peninsular Malaysia. The tags have a retail price of RM35 but you can now get it at RM25 when you purchase via the Touch ‘n Go app. Here’s how you purchase your tag on the app.
- Open the Touch ‘n Go eWallet app and make sure you are registered as a user.
- Then, select the RFID icon.
- Select Order RFID Tag.
- Select the number of tags you want to buy and select Buy Now.
- Verify your order and delivery information, and your RFID tag will be delivered to your doorstep.
Activate your Touch ‘n Go RFID Tag
After you’ve received your tag, you can activate it with the steps below.
- Open the Touch ‘n Go eWallet app and select the RFID icon.
- Select Activate RFID Tag.
- Fill in the required information in the Activation Form including your personal details and vehicle number.
- Insert the 24-digit RFID tag number or scan the barcode on the RFID tag packaging.
- You will then be requested to enter an OTP code.
- After completing the application, your tag will be activated within 24 hours.
Install your RFID Tag
After you’ve activated your RFID tag, you can proceed to install it onto your car.
- Thoroughly clean your car’s upper left windshield or the left headlight (on the passenger’s side). If installing on your windshield, ensure that your car tint is non-metallic (i.e. does not interfere with radio signals).
- Let it dry for two to three minutes.
- Gently peel off the RFID tag from the edge.
- Paste it on the windshield or left headlight.
- Make sure it’s positioned at least 5 cm away from the metal surfaces of your car as being in contact with any metal can cause interference with the RFID signals.
- Avoid washing your car for at least a day.
- You can now hit the highway and use RFID payment!
We hope this guide can help you with your Touch ‘n Go RFID tag installation. Remember to activate your RFID tag as soon as possible so you can enjoy a more seamless experience on the highway.
Also, if you’re looking to buy a used car or even sell your old one, check out CARSOME. As a reputable used car platform, we offer a variety of used cars. Besides putting all our cars through a 175-point inspection, we also pride ourselves in offering honest prices with no hidden charges.
Devan is a long-time writer who has dabbled in different fields from media to marketing. He enjoys some virtual driving on Forza Horizon and likes reading about various topics including cars.