A car is a necessity for many Malaysians but with more people working from home, many find their cars remain parked and unused for days or sometimes even weeks at a time. If you’re wondering “should I buy a car?”, there are various factors to think about before taking the plunge. After all, owning a car is a big commitment and responsibility.
To help you decide if it’s a good time to buy a car, here are some questions to think of before you decide.
1. How Much Do You Commute for Work?
Most people spend most of their time on the road commuting to work or school. So when you ask yourself if you should buy a car, you should take into account how much time you spend commuting to work, and if you need a car for it.
You should also consider if there are alternatives that are more affordable and convenient. Do you live close to public transportation? Can you walk to your office or ride a bike? If you have other convenient alternatives, you might not need to invest in a new car. However, if you don’t have access to other alternatives and travel to the office frequently, driving can save you a lot of time and effort.
Read More: How You Can Apply for a Pre-approved Loan
2. Do You Travel Long Distance?
Another question to ponder before deciding if it’s a good time to buy a car now is whether or not you regularly travel long distances. If you enjoy regular road trips on the weekend, have to travel outstation for work, or even travel interstate to visit your hometown, it’s a good idea to own a good car.
While transport options for long-distance traveling are plenty, it can be taxing especially if you do it regularly. Plus, if you travel with your family and friends, the cost of buying individual tickets can climb quite fast.
That said, traveling long distances can quickly increase the mileage on your car and accelerate its wear and tear, leading to a higher chance of parts failing. If you travel frequently, consider investing in a quality car. Besides getting a brand new car, you can also consider getting a used car in good condition and low mileage.
Read More: DIY Tips to Improve Your Car’s Resale Value
3. Do You Drive Other People Around?
It’s easy to rely on public transport if you live alone and don’t travel that often. However, commuting and traveling can get tricky if you have multiple people in your household. If you need to send your kids to school or a childcare center or even go grocery shopping with the family, driving is a more comfortable and convenient option. If you’ve been wondering ‘should I buy a car now?’ consider the needs of your family or better yet, have a talk and decide with them.
4. Can You Afford the Costs of Owning a Car?
Before deciding if you should buy or upgrade your car, you should first know if you can afford it. Other than the upfront downpayment cost and monthly car loan, there are also the fuel, maintenance, insurance, and road tax cost to consider. As a rule of thumb, it’s recommended to spend 15 percent of your income on transportation to avoid burdening yourself financially.
5. Do You Have a Car? What Is Its Condition?
If you already have a car, you may be considering selling it because you don’t need it anymore or because you’re looking to upgrade. However, before selling your car, think about these points:
- Your car’s reliability: Reliability and safety are top priorities in a vehicle. If your car malfunctions frequently, it can affect your comfort and safety while driving. Furthermore, many older cars lack even basic safety features that we now consider necessary in modern cars.
- Maintenance costs: If your vehicle breaks down frequently, then it’s a sure sign to upgrade your car. Having two or more major breakdowns a year can be costly and sometimes even exceed the value of your car.
- Your lifestyle: Your lifestyle changes over the years and so does what you need in a car. If you’re starting a new family or even a new job that requires more frequent traveling, you might find that your current vehicle doesn’t suit your lifestyle anymore. In that case, it may be time to upgrade to a car with more space and better safety features.
Enjoy Up to RM13,000 off When You Buy a CARSOME Certified Car
If you’re planning to upgrade your car, now is the time because you can enjoy up to RM13,000 off* when you buy a CARSOME Certified car this May. With our large selection of pre-owned cars, you can easily find the perfect car just by browsing our website. We put each CARSOME Certified car through a 175-point inspection and professional refurbishment to ensure each car is safe and enjoyable to own.
This promotion only lasts till 31 May 2022 so visit CARSOME to book your dream car today!
Read More: CARSOME’S Monthly Promotions
*Terms and conditions apply.
Buy CARSOME Certified & Sell Your Car to Us for Excellent Deals
If you’re considering buying a car now, check out CARSOME. With our strict 175-point inspection and professional refurbishing, we ensure each car is in excellent condition. Every CARSOME Certified car also comes with these promises for your peace of mind.
- Quality cars guaranteed: All CARSOME cars go through a 175-point inspection to ensure it’s free from major accidents and flood damage. Every CARSOME Certified car also goes through the CARSOME Certified Refurbishment Process which covers the interior and exterior to go beyond global standards, ensuring every car has complete comfort, safety, and a refurbished aesthetic.
- Five-day money-back guarantee: If you buy a car from CARSOME and are not happy with it, You can return it within five days and get a full refund. No questions asked!
- One-year warranty: All CARSOME Certified cars also have a one-year extended warranty for your peace of mind.
- Fixed price: The listing price you see on CARSOME is the actual full price of the car with no hidden fees, so you know exactly how much you’re paying.
Also, selling your car to CARSOME is as easy as ever and can be done within 24 hours if you’re keen on trading in as well. If you’re looking to sell your car, just book an inspection on our website, get your car inspected to determine the price, and get paid instantly*. We’ll handle all the paperwork for you for a hassle-free experience.
So what are you waiting for? Head over to carsome.my today!
*Terms and conditions apply.
Devan is a long-time writer who has dabbled in different fields from media to marketing. He enjoys some virtual driving on Forza Horizon and likes reading about various topics including cars.