Petty crime is steeply on the rise in Kuala Lumpur. With stories of larceny and vandalism becoming more rampant, advice is being given by victims so that others can learn from their experience. A recent story by a female reader was shared with us, with steps that we should employ when getting to and from work. Whether it be from home, office, the restaurant or the shopping mall, it is good to be aware of the dangers that could befall any individual. The story below is a re-enactment of an incident that happened to Alice a few weeks ago.
Alice works at an architecture firm. It was a Friday and she was working late. As she left, it felt like any other ordinary day.
As she walked to her car located at the basement, she noticed two men on a motorcycle, loitering about the area. Feeling cautious, she quickly got in and drove home.
On her way home while stopping at a traffic light junction, her car window was smashed, and her handbag was snatched from the passenger seat by the same two men on a motorcycle. Thankfully Alice was not hurt from the incident. She calmed herself and detoured to the closest police station in the area.
However, while on her way to the nearest police station to report the incident, her car broke down. It wasn’t a good day for Alice. In fact, it was a horrendous chain of events that brought her to a standstill.
Yet in a turn of luck, her mobile phone was still with her. She quickly telephoned her friends and family, and her insurance company for a tow truck.
Alice was thankful that in the series of events that occurred, she did not suffer any physical harm especially during the snatch theft incident and the car breakdown. She has vowed to help prevent anyone from potentially becoming a victim to these crimes by sharing her story and advice.
While Alice could have been in a more dangerous situation, this is her advice on staying safe.
1) Always be wary of your surroundings before entering your vehicle. Do make sure you have your car keys in hand before approaching your vehicle, and to lock it immediately after you've entered.
2) She advises that you shouldn’t leave your handbag, briefcase or anything important next to you on the passenger seat when you’re in the car alone. This provides an opportunity for smash and grab perpetrators to prey on you when you’re most vulnerable – at traffic stops or car parks.
3) Be mindful of your vehicle’s petrol level and basic indicators. Should you have a breakdown or a flat tyre, contact your insurance company. Some insurance programs like Allianz Enhanced Road Warrior offer 24-hour emergency towing for unlimited towing distance, minor roadside repairs and even a car replacement for up to 7 days. The best road partners are the ones that provide a comprehensive umbrella of protection when needed at an affordable price.
4) Similarly if you experience a car accident or breakdown, try to assess the situation and if possible, drive to the nearest police station to lodge a report, and call your insurance company for help.
5) Her most important advice? Alice says to always inform friends or family of your whereabouts and estimated time of arrival when you are away.
To learn more about being safe and having extra protection, check out Allianz Enhanced Road Warrior, 24-hour roadside assistance program. Or get an instant quote for Allianz Enhanced Road Warrior here.
This article was produced in partnership with Allianz Malaysia.